Cloud adoption statistics are high, indicating that companies are continuing to move to the cloud. But that doesn’t mean your company should jump on the cloud bandwagon — at least not without the right strategy and assistance.
It’s one thing to implement software-as-a-service (SaaS) or a cloud-first strategy for new systems. It’s an entirely different ball game when it comes to moving enterprise systems to the cloud — particularly legacy systems and those that require high availability.
Not all companies can employ the common “lift-and-shift” migration strategy, in which workloads are removed from an on-premises environment and placed in a cloud environment without re-architecting them. Many organizations have monolithic applications configured for fixed or static capacity in a few data centers. Some have extremely stringent requirements for uptime. Simply moving them to the cloud won’t enable them to perform optimally in the new environment or reap all the benefits of the cloud.
There’s also the issue of the cloud environment where applications will reside. Cliché as it is, not all cloud environments — or cloud service providers — are created equal. Some have more security. Others are equipped to offer greater uptime. Still, others have an extensive track record of proven performance and more resources behind them.
AWS offers a vast toolset that continues to grow exponentially, and its capabilities, experience, maturity, reliability, security, and performance are unrivaled. Briefly:
• AWS has delivered cloud services for over 12 years to millions of organizations around the world, running a wide range of use cases.
• AWS has an extensive global infrastructure for running workloads, requiring high availability with 61 availability zones (AZ) across 20 regions. That’s more than twice as many regions with multiple availability zones than the next largest cloud provider.
• AWS has more than a decade of experience running Windows server workloads in the cloud.
• The AWS cloud platform offers over 165 fully featured services, including 48 services where comparable options are not available on the next largest cloud provider.
• AWS released 1,957 new services and features in 2018, innovating at an unmatched pace.
• In 2018, AWS became the first cloud provider to offer 100 gigabytes of network bandwidth with its C5n EC2 instance types. This higher network performance can speed up results for a wide range of analytics, machine learning, big data, and data lake applications.
• AWS supports everything needed to build and run Windows applications including the first and only fully managed native-Windows file system available in the cloud with FSx for Windows File Server.
• AWS offers 210 security, compliance, and governance services and key features. It also supports 89 security standards and compliance certifications ranging from PCI-DSS to NIST 800-171.
AWS Migration Resources
Migrating to any cloud platform — even AWS — isn’t easy. That’s particularly true for organizations that don’t have the internal resources and expertise to take on such a major initiative. Things get even more complicated when the complexities of moving legacy systems and meeting stringent uptime and compliance requirements are involved.
Fortunately, AWS offers a wealth of migration resources. They range from Amazon S3 Transfer Acceleration, which makes public internet transfers to Amazon S3 faster, to AWS Snowball, a petabyte-scale data transport solution that uses secure appliances to transfer large amounts of data in and out of AWS. AWS Server Migration Service (SMS) makes it easier and faster to automate, schedule, and track incremental replications of live Windows server volumes, AWS Database Migration Service supports both homogeneous and heterogeneous migrations, continuously and securely replicating data to and from most widely used commercial and open-source databases, including Microsoft SQL Server.
In addition, companies lacking internal resources and expertise can accelerate their move to the AWS cloud by working with an AWS partner with demonstrated technical proficiency and proven customer success in cloud migration.
Why Partner with ClearScale
This is where ClearScale comes in. ClearScale has been in business for over 10 years and completed over 600 projects. As an AWS Premier Consulting Partner, ClearScale holds competencies in seven areas – including migration. We’ve helped numerous organizations assess, right size and move their Windows and SQL server workloads to AWS.
Check out our webinar in which we showcased one customer’s migration initiative. You can also read other case studies at the following links:
The ClearScale Migration Approach
ClearScale doesn’t have a “set-in-stone” process because every customer’s situation is different. However, there are some general things we do.
For example, a typical AWS migration project will start with us learning about the customer’s goals. Next, we’ll audit its infrastructure and compare it to current standards and best practices in security, availability, scalability, infrastructure automation, monitoring, proactive prevention of failures, and disaster recovery.
From there, we can make recommendations for designing the most agile, scalable and secure cloud infrastructure. That need for maximum uptime and high availability? We’ll draw on our expertise in using AWS tools and best practices to make that happen.
Next up is automating and deploying the infrastructure to AWS. We’ll then work with the customer to transfer its data to AWS, thoroughly test all functionality and security, and make the cutover to the new environment.
Full documentation of the new cloud infrastructure will be provided to get the customer’s IT team so they can successfully take ownership of the new environment. If ongoing support is needed, multiple levels of cloud managed services are available.
Migrate with Peace of Mind
If your organization is considering a move to the cloud and AWS is your destination of choice, let ClearScale help make it a successful migration. We can help ensure the development of a cloud environment that will meet your needs for high availability, security and whatever else you need. We can help with migrations to other cloud platforms as well.
Get in touch today to speak with a Cloud expert and discuss how we can help: